Today we’ll see grammar patterns which are used to form sentences for making requests or asking for assistance from someone.
The grammar patterns mentioned below are originated from one verb stem 주다 which means " to give". To give an item, etc., to someone else so he/she can have or use it.
By adding 주다 at the end of the verb will have the meaning doing or asking for a favour.
Lets see some different ways of requesting or assisting.
~드릴까요/줄까요? is used to offer help or do a favor for the listener. It has the same meaning as "Would you like me to do something?" or "Shall I do something?". The same could be asked for asking for favour as well.
Eg: 들어 드릴까요?
- 네 드릴게요.
- ~아 드릴까요? is used when the stems of verbs involve 아 or 오
- ~어 드릴까요? is used with the stems other than 아 or 오.
1. 창문을 닫아 드릴까요?
Shall I close the window?
2. 들어 드릴까요?
Would you like me to carry it?
3. 무엇을 도와 드릴까요?
How can I help you?
의미 : Used to express a polite request or polite command to someone to do something for the speaker. It is used with verbs.
- If the last vowel of stem is 아 or 오, ~아주세요 is added.
- If the last vowel of the verb stem is a vowel other than 아 or 오, ~어주세요 is added.
- If the verb ends with-하다 it changes to ~해주세요.
- 가르치다 - 가르쳐주세요
- 보다 - 봐주세요
- 오다 - 와주세요
- 돕다 - 도와주세요
1. 영어를 배우고 있어요. 도와주세요.
I'm learning English. Please help me.
2. 배 고파요. 김밥 사주세요.
I'm hungry. Buy me some Kimbap.
3. 무서워요. 같이가주세요.
I'm scared. Please go with me.
아/어 주시겠어요 ?
의미 : Used to ask the listener to perform an action. It has the same meaning as 'Would you do a little favour for me, please?
It is a more polite version of 아/어 주세요.
- 아/어 주시겠어요? is always attached directly to the end of a verb stem.
- ~아 주시겠어요? is used when the stems of verbs which involve 아 or 오.
- ~어 주시겠어요? is used with the stems other than 아 or 오.
- 닫다 - 닫아 주 시겠어요?
- 가르치다 - 가르쳐 주 시겠어요?
- 전화하다 - 전화 해 주 시겠어요?
1. Can you help me?
도와 주 시겠어요?
2. Can you please close the door?
문 좀 닫아 주 시겠어요?
3. Can I have my clothes back?
제 옷 돌려주실주시겠어요?
4. Waiter, could you bring me some water?
웨이터, 물 좀 가져다 주시겠어요?
5. Could you fax me the latest version?
가장 최근의 안을 팩스로 제게 보내 주시겠어요?
6. Could I have your autograph?
사인 하나 해 주시겠어요?
7. Can I have the check, please?
계산서 좀 갖다 주시겠어요?
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.