Learning grammar is one of the most difficult things for Korean language learners. On this blog we will try to help you learn Korean grammar in the quickest and easiest way possible. This blog will be helpful for those who are studying Korean language and want to improve their grammar skills.
Today we’ll see how to form sentences with grammar pattern “V + 아/어 주다" with some example sentences.
By adding ~아/어/해 주다 to the stem of a word, you can imply that the action is somehow beneficial to you or as if it were a favor that another person completed.
- If there is a vowel ‘ㅏ’ or ‘ㅗ’ in the stem, ‘아 주다’ is used.
- If the vowel in the stem is other than ‘ㅏ or ㅗ’, then ‘어 주다’ is used.
- When verb ends with 하, the form changes to '해 주다'.
How to conjugate “V + 아/어 주다" grammar pattern?
V + 아 주다
Used when there is a vowel ‘ㅏ’ or ‘ㅗ’ in the stem
가 주다 etc.
V + 어 주다
Used when vowel in the stem is other than ‘ㅏ or ㅗ’
열어 주다 etc.
1) Regarding the ‘아 주다’ conjugation information, remove ‘다’ from basic form of the verb, if the verb stem ends with ㅗ or ㅏ, attach ‘아 주다 ’ after the verb stem.
Example sentences :
- 너무 비싸네요. 좀 깎아 주세요. It's too expensive. Please cut it down a little.
- 이태원 가 주세요. Please take me to Itaewon.
- 이 영상을 재밌게 봐주세요. Please have fun watching this video.
2) Regarding the ‘어 주다’ conjugation information, remove ‘다’ from basic form of the verb, if the verb stem ends with vowel other than ㅗ or ㅏ, attach ‘어 주다 ’ after the verb stem.
Example sentences :
- 볼펜 좀 빌려 주세요. Please lend me a ballpoint pen.
- 문 좀 열어 주세요. Please open the door.
- 뜨거우니까 천천히 먹어 줘 ! It's hot, so eat it slowly!
The verb which end with 하다 change it to 해 주다.
For eg : 밥 해 주다 ! Which becomes 밥 해 줘 !
문 좀 열어 주다. Which becomes 문 좀 열어 주세요.
There are some exceptional cases as well :
- 듣다 = 들어 주다 (ㄷirregular conjugation)
- 돕다 = 도와 주다 (ㅂ irregular)
- 자르다 = 잘라 주다 (ㄹ irregular)
- 짓다 = 지어 주다 (ㅅ irregular)
- 쓰다 = 써 주다 (으 disappear)
- 엄마! 밥 해 줘! ~ “Mom! Make me some food!”
- 죄송한데요… 문 좀 열어 주실래요? ~ “I’m sorry, but…would you please open the door?”
- 책 좀 빌려 주시겠어요? ~ Could you please lend me your book ?
- 오레오 맥플러리와 미디엄 사이즈 피자 주세요. ~ Can I have an Oreo Mcflurry and medium size pizza please ?
- 부산까지 태워다 줄 수 있나요? ~ Can I get a lift till Busan ?
Tip : Adding 좀 in front of the sentences helps to make the speaker’s voice more polite.
Check out the list of 200 Korean verbs given below and practice making your own sentences with “V + 아/어 주다" ending.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.