Today we'll be looking at the usage of "A/V-ㄹ/을 리가 없다" Korean grammar pattern with some example sentences.
An expression used to indicate that the speaker is certain that the content of the preceding statement has an explanation or could possibly be true.
It is used to indicate disbelief or doubt. It has the same meaning as "It's impossible to………"
The basic conjugation rules are :
1) If there is no 받침 or if the stem ends with a ㄹ 받침 add A / V + ㄹ 리가 없다.
2) If there is a 받침 at the end of the stem add A / V +을 리가 없다.
- 하다 - 할 리가 없다
- 가다 - 갈 리가 없다
- 늦다 - 늦을 리가 없다
- 먹다 - 먹을 리가 없다
Lets see some example sentences :
1) A good kid like Jisoo can't lie.
지수처럼 착한 아이가 거짓말을 할 리가 없다.
2) An apology without sincerity cannot move the heart.
진심이 담기지 않은 사과가 마음을 움직일 리가 없다.
3) You, who have never been through something like this, can't understand how I feel right now.
이런 일을 겪어 보지도 않은 네가 지금 내 심정을 알 리가 없어.
4) 's such a big deal, there's no way I've got an appetite.
그렇게 큰일을 당했으니 식욕이 있을 리가 없다.
5) This dress is tailored to my body, so it cannot fit you.
이 옷은 내 몸에 맞춘 것이니까 너한테 맞을 리가 없어.
6) It's the food my mother made, and there's no way it's not delicious.
우리 어머니가 해 주신 음식인데 맛이 없을 리가 없지.
7) They can't hate me.
그 친구들이 나를 싫어할 리가 없어요.
8) There's no way you didn't know that.
니가 그것을 몰랐을리 없어요.
9) There's no way he got sick.
그 사람이 병에 걸렸을리가 없어요.
10) Tests can't be easy.
시험이 쉬울 리가 없어요.
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.