Today we'll be looking at the usage of "V~(으)려면" Korean grammar pattern with some example sentences.
A connective ending used to assume something that will happen in the future, that one has a purpose or intention of doing a certain act, or to assume a certain situation and then express a desire for the specific situation.
The equivalent meaning could be "If....." or " In order to (do something)"
Conjugation rule :
- If a verb stem has a consonant ~(으)려면 is used.
- If a verb stem has a vowel ~려면 is used.
Lets see some example sentences :
1. Which bus should I take if I wanna get to City Hall?
시청에 가려면 몇 번 버스를 타야 되나요?
2. You have to quit smoking in order to stay healthy. / You have to quit smoking if you want to stay healthy.
건강을 유지하시려면 담배를 끊어야 됩니다.
3. If you want to buy good things cheaply, you have to look around several stores.
좋은 물건을 싸게 사려면 여러 가게를 둘러봐야지.
4. It is important to adjust the water in order to make the rice delicious.
밥을 맛있게 지으려면 물을 맞추는 게 중요하다.
5. Seung-gyu still has a long way to grow up.
승규는 철들려면 아직 멀었어.
6. How many stops do we have to get to Seoul Station?
서울역에 도착하려면 몇 정거장 남았어?
7. There are still 30 minutes left before the class is over.
수업이 끝나려면 아직도 삼십 분이나 남았다.
8. You have to go ten miles further to reach the temple.
절에 닿으려면 십 리는 더 가야 한다.
9. It still needs to be boiled more to stop the water.
물이 팔팔 끊으려면 아직 더 끓여야 한다.
10. It takes a long time for small seeds to grow and bear abundant fruits.
작은 씨앗이 자라 풍성한 열매를 맺으려면 오랜 세월이 필요하다.
11. If you want to bring your lunch box, you should pack enough for everyone to eat together.
도시락을 싸 오려면 다 같이 먹을 수 있게 넉넉히 싸 오지.
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.