Learning grammar is one of the most difficult things for Korean language learners. On this blog we will try to help you learn Korean grammar in the quickest and easiest way possible. This blog will be helpful for those who are studying Korean language and want to improve their grammar skills.
Today we’ll see how to form sentences with grammar pattern “ Verb + 았/었으면 좋겠다 “ with some example sentences.
Verb + 았/었으면 좋겠다 has the meaning of ” It’ll be good if XXX happens. ” The speaker can use this grammar pattern to express hope, wish or desire for some things to happen.
Let’s try to understand with few example sentences :
- 오늘 날씨가 더워졌었서 비 왔으면 좋겠다 - The weather was hot today, so I hope it rains
- 빨리 일요일이 왔으면 좋겠다 - I wish Sunday would come[get here] soon.
- 빨리 여행 갔으면 좋겠다. - I wish I could travel soon.
As you can see the speaker tends to express the desire for some things to happen in the previous sentences.
Rule to conjugate Verb + 았/었으면 좋겠다 grammar pattern :
1) If the verb stem after removing 다 ends with 오 or 아 then ~았으면 좋겠다 is added.
Eg : 왔으면 좋겠다
2) If the verb stem after removing 다 ends with anything other than 오 or 아 then ~었으면 좋겠다 is added.
Eg : 먹었으면 좋겠다
Let’s see some examples :
1) 내일 눈이 더 많이 왔으면 좋겠다!
I hope it snows even more tomorrow!
2) 멀리 갔으면 좋겠다!
I hope it goes far!
3) 예전처럼 그냥 편하게 먹었으면 좋겠어요.
I wish I could just eat comfortably like before.
4) 이 노래를 어떤 분이 들었으면 좋겠다 추천할 만한 분들이 있을까요?
I wish someone would listen to this song. Do you have any recommendations?
5) 내가 마법의 지팡이라도 휘둘러 모든 것을 다시 바르게 할 수 있었으면 좋겠다.
I wish I could wave a magic wand and make everything all right again.
6) 내가 마법의 지팡이라도 휘둘러 모든 것을 다시 바르게 할 수 있었으면 좋겠어요.
I wish I could wield a magic wand and make everything right again.
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.