Today we'll be looking at the usage of ~는 통에 with some example sentences.
An expression used to indicate the situation or cause of the bad result mentioned in the following statement.
It is used to express reason or cause in the first clause which resulted in the failure of the second clause of the sentence.
Because the first clause stems from the complications, second clauses often appear as negative.
The rule to conjugate is simple:
You simply have to add ~는 통에 after the verb stem.
Let's see some sentences as an example :
1) He annoys me because he's loud and talks too much.
그 사람은 시끄럽고 너무 많이 말하는 통에 날 귀찮게 함
2) The flight was delayed due to snow.
눈이 오는 통에 비행기가 출발을 지연 됐습니다.
3) I can't concentrate when the kids are making a lot of noise.
아이들이 시끄럽게 떠드는 통에 집중이 안 된다.
4) The movie was so boring that it was all yawning.
영화가 영 재미없는 통에 지루해서 하품이 다 나왔다.
5) A: Jisoo, you look tired today.
가:지수 씨, 오늘 피곤해 보이네요.
B: Yes~ I couldn't sleep at all because my baby cried all night.
나: 네~ 아이가 밤새 우는 통에 전혀 못 잤어요.
There are few things in mind when using this :
1) It cannot be used with imperative sentences.
2) It is used to express negative expressions only. It should not be used in the sentences with the end result being hopefully or positive.
3) This is used in situations where the end result is negative.
4) There are three nouns after which this grammar can be used with i.e 전쟁, 장마 and 난리
- She was orphaned in the war.
그녀는 전쟁 통에 고아가 되었다.
- He died in the ravage of war.
그는 난리 통에 죽었다
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.