Learning grammar is one of the most difficult things for Korean language learners. On this blog we will try to help you learn Korean grammar in the quickest and easiest way possible. This blog will be helpful for those who are studying Korean language and want to improve their grammar skills.
Today we’ll see how to form sentences with grammar pattern “ Noun + 동안 V + 는 동안 “ with some example sentences.
It is used to express the duration or time of any action done.
Like ” Noun – 때 and Verb – (으)ㄹ 때 ” It has the meaning of at the time of, when, during in English.
It also has the equivalent meaning of ” During ” and ” for the duration of ” in English.
- 동안 is simply used with nouns.
- ~는 동안 is used with verbs, irrespective of whether the verb stem ends with a consonant or vowel.
The rule to conjugate :
In case of Nouns like 여름, 수업 etc.
동안 Has to be added in the end of nouns.
It becomes :
- 여름 Summer
여름 동안 During summer
- 수업 Class
수업 동안 During class
In case of verbs like 먹다 , 가다 etc.
Remove 다 from the main verb and add 는 동안 in the end of the verb stem.
It becomes :
- 먹다 To eat
먹는 동안 At the time of eating
- 가다 To go
가는 동안 While going
Let’s see some examples :
- 나 휴가 가는 동안 일 좀 대신 봐 줄래? – Can you cover for me on my vacation?
- 내가 점심을 먹는 동안에 넌 수영을 하러 갈 수도 있어. – You can go swimming while I’m having lunch.
- 혼자 사는 동안 괴로워했다. – I was in distress while I lived alone.
- 저는 애니메이션 보는 동안 숨이 막히고 눈물이 났습니다. – I was gasping and weeping while watching the anime.
- 내가 네 머리를 빗겨 주는 동안 가만히 있어라. – Keep still while I comb your hair.
It is similar to “Noun – 때 and Verb – (으)ㄹ 때” Korean grammar pattern we’ve already learnt about in the previous post.
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.