Today we'll be looking at the usage of " N (이)네요, A/V 네요 " Korean grammar point with some example sentences.
This grammar pattern can be used to indicate your emotional reaction to what you have just realized.
This expression is used to indicate that the speaker is impressed or rather surprised by a fact he/she learned anew from a past personal experience.
Often it expresses surprise typically at unexpected or counter-expected events or states.
Adding 요 is optional. You can use it when talking to strangers or someone older than you.
1) The weather is really nice today.
오늘은 날씨가 정말 좋네요.
2) Perhaps because it's the weekend, there are so many people in the department store.
주말이라 그런지 백화점에 사람이 정말 많네요.
3) Looking at the calendar, Christmas is approaching.
달력을 보니 어느새 크리스마스가 다가오고 있네요.
An expression used to ask the listener for a consent about the speaker's guess or assumption.
1) Since it's going to rain tomorrow, you can't go on a picnic, right?
내일 비가 온다고 하니 소풍은 못 가겠네요?
2) If there's gold powder in the liquor, it'll be really expensive, right?
술에 금가루가 들어 있으면 무지 비싸겠네요?
The basic conjugation rules are :
A/V : 네요 in the present tense
For example :
1) 예쁘네요- 저 꽃꽂이 예쁘네요.
That flower arrangement is beautiful.
2) 가네요- 이 일이 우습게 되어가네요.
This work is getting ridiculous.
3) 좋네요- 여기 음악은 참 좋네요.
The music here is very good.
4) 맛있네요- 야, 이 커피 맛있네요.
Ah, this coffee is good.
A/V : 았/었네요 in the past tense
- When the stem ends with 오 or 아 then ~았네요 is added.
- When the stem ends with anything other than 오 or 아 then ~었네요 is added.
For example :
1) 갔네요- 그러네요. 시간이 정말 빨리 갔네요.
The time went by so quickly.
2) 먹었네요- 난 아침을 잔뜩 먹었네요.
I had a big breakfast.
N : (이)네요
- When the noun ends with a vowel add ~이네요 at the end.
- When the noun ends with a consonant add ~네요 at the end.
For example :
1) 학생- 겨우 학생이네요.
You are just a student.
2) 의사- 그래서 지금은 진짜 의사네요?
So right now you're an actual doctor?
Some example sentences :
1) This drama is fun.
이 드라마 재미있네요.
2) Son is cute!
3) It's already December.
4) The iPhone is expensive.
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.