In order to expand overseas research regarding Korea, distinguished foreign scholars and experts who are selected for the fellowship will be invited to Korea and receive financial support for their research. The fellowship provides assistance to Korea-related humanities and social sciences scholars for one to six months to pursue research and write scholarly papers (includes Korean studies or Korea-related comparative studies and case studies).
Approximately 30 professors and researchers from overseas universities are selected annually for the fellowship. The award includes round-trip airfare and living expenses in Korea.
MA Candidates, PhD Candidates, Postdoctoral Fellows, Faculties, Professionals
This fellowship support program is designed to encourage Korean Studies research by doctorate-level students and prominent scholars through the sponsorship of their visit to Korea so that they can conduct onsite field research, gather pertinent data, access resource materials, and develop personal relations with Korean specialists.
Doctorate-level students and scholars conducting research on Korean Studies or Korea-related comparative/case studies within the fields of humanities and social science(excluding programs in natural science, medicine and engineering, and programs at a business school, law school or a school of translation and/or interpretation)
- Applicants must be able to conduct their research in Korean or English.
- For Korean nationals, only those who have acquired permanent residency status in a foreign country or are serving in a regular faculty position at a university abroad are eligible to apply.
- An individual with the following circumstances is not eligible for consideration:
- · Engaged in the study/specialization of such fields as the natural sciences, medicine, or engineering
- · Currently studying or conducting research in Korea
- · An individual who seeks to improve his/her Korean language ability or to attend regular courses at a university in Korea
- · An individual who has received Korea Foundation Fellowship for Field Research program support within the past three years.
- The fellowship period approved by the Foundation may differ from the applicant’s proposed schedule.
- Accommodations and research facilities for a fellow should be arranged by the individual fellow, in cooperation with his/her research affiliation institute
- Research-related basic study should be conductedbefore program application and fellows should work on their dissertations during the fellowship period.
About 30 individuals are selected as program fellows each year
Overview of Program Support
|Type||Candidate||Eligibility||Responsibility for Outcome||Stipend/month|
|A||Doctoral Candidate||Candidate who is writing dissertation, after completion of coursework||Finalize doctoral dissertation||2.0 million KRW|
|B||Researcher (Ph.D Holder)||-Researcher, lecturer, or professional with a doctoral degree-10 years or less since receipt of doctoral degree||AHCI/SSCI, academic journals registered with National Research Foundation of Korea, academic journals recognized by each country’s ministry of education, or publication of books||3.0 million KRW|
|C||Assistant Professor||-Assistant professor working at a university or research institution (doctoral degree holder)-Researcher, lecturer, or professional with 10 years or more career experience, and less than 20 years since receipt of doctoral degree||4.0 million KRW|
|D||Associate/ Full Professor||-Associate/full professor working at a university or research institution (doctoral degree holder)-Researcher, lecturer, or professional with more than 20 years of career experience since receipt of doctoral degree||5.0 million KRW|
- Period – 1 to 6 months
- Other Support – Economy-class round-trip airfare to/from Korea Travelers insurance coverage
- Requirements – Researcher (Letter of Affiliation from a Korean researcher)
- – For Type C and D fellows, the individual is allowed to present lectures at the host institution (university) in conjunction with his/her research work. For those who present lectures at Korean universities, stipend will be remitted through the host university.
- – For any fellow who presents lectures during the fellowship period, he/she needs to submit the Korea-related research outcome separately.
- – Research Fellowship monthly stipend will be remitted directly to the fellow.
- – Korean host institutions have to provide assistance to fellows in regard to visa issuance, accommodations, and research facilities.
Application Screening/Notification of Selection
Field Research in Korea
July 31, 2013
October 31, 2013
January through December 2014
Obligations of Program Fellows
- – Responsibility for Outcome
- – Type A (Doctoral candidate): Doctoral dissertation must be completed within two (2) years after conclusion of the fellowship period.
- – Type B, C, D (Doctoral degree holder): AHCI/SSCI, academic journals registered with the National Research Foundation of Korea, academic journals recognized by each country’s ministry of education (articles should be completed within one year after conclusion of the fellowship period), or publication of a book (within two (2) years after conclusion of the fellowship period).
For the publication of SSCI/AHCI articles or a book as the outcome of the fellowship, the Korea Foundation will provide $2,000 of additional program assistance as an incentive. (The Korea Foundation’s assistance should be acknowledged in such published materials.)
- ※ Program fellows are required to submit (1) Final Report on research project at the conclusion of the fellowship period, and (2) Outcome of field research in Korea, such as academic research articles, after the fellowship period. Professors and researchers should publish articles within one year after the fellowship period, and doctoral candidates need to complete their doctoral dissertations within two (2) years after the fellowship period.For any fellow who does not satisfy the outcome requirements, he/she will not be eligible for future support from the Korea Foundation.
- ※ You can download the application form and application instructions from the related information below.
- – Curriculum Vitae: Personal and academic information that includes:academic degrees obtained (disciplines, title of thesis/ dissertation, and year degrees were received), record of recent and current employment status, previously received grants and fellowships, and list of publications and research presentations.
- – Research Proposal: Summary of proposed research (at least five pages), which includes the following information:
- · Description and objective of proposed research
- · Significance of proposed research in terms of disciplinary concerns as well as its relevance to Korean Studies
- · Description of research methods and materials
- · Progress report on proposed research to date
- · Specific schedule to complete proposed research
- · Necessity of field research in Korea
- · Goals of research results (doctoral dissertation, submit article to academic journals, publication plans)
- – Letter of Affiliation or Letter of Joint Research, which includes the following information:
- · How long, how well, and in what capacity have you known the applicant
- · Your agreement to serve as the applicant’s research advisor/associate in Korea, if selected
- · Evaluation of the significance, scope, and feasibility of the applicant’s project
- · Applicant’s ability to complete the project, including methodological training, command of necessary perspectives and literature
- · Contribution this project will make to relevant fields of study as well as the study of Korea
- · Necessity to conduct research in Korea
- · Plans to support applicant’s research space, equipment, and accommodations
- · Other research cooperation
- – For a joint research project, please address the following matters in your letter of joint research:
- · Purpose and content of the joint research
- · Necessity to conduct joint research in Korea
- · Current stage of the joint research and plans to conduct research during the fellowship period
Beginning in 2013 The Korea Foundation accepts only online applications for its support programs.