Today we'll be looking at the usage of " A/V/N ~ (으)ㄴ/는/(으)ㄹ 셈이다 " Korean grammar point with some examples.
- ~ㄴ/은 /는 셈이다 indicates a calculated result and is a colloquial expression for saying something is more or less similar to another.
- ~ㄹ /을 셈이다 indicates an intention or a plan. When someone plans to or intends to do something.
The basic conjugation rules are :
A/V ~ㄴ/은 /는 셈이다 indicates a calculated result and is a colloquial expression for saying something is more or less similar to another.
Present tense :
Adjectives : (으)ㄴ 셈이다
- Attach ㄴ 셈이다 after stems ending with vowel
- Attach 은 셈이다 after stems ending with consonant
조용하다 - 조용한 셈이다
쓰다 - 쓴 셈이다
Verbs : 는 셈이다
You can simply add ~는 셈이다 after verb stem irrespective of whether the stem ends with a consonant or vowel.
오다 - 오는 셈이다
하다 - 하는 셈이다
마시다 - 마시는 셈이다
Noun : 임 셈이다
You can simply add ~임 셈이다 after nouns irrespective of whether they end with a consonant or vowel.
학생 - 학생임 셈이다
절충안 - 절충안임 셈이다
공략 - 공략임 셈이다
Past tense :
Verb : (으)ㄴ 셈이다
만들다 - 만들은 셈이다
오다 - 온 셈이다
하다 - 한 셈이다
마시다 - 마신 셈이다
Noun : 였던 셈이다
공략 - 공략임 셈이다
집 - 집였던 셈이다
A/V ~ㄹ /을 셈이다 indicates an intention or a plan. When someone plans to or intends to.
A/V : ㄹ/을 셈이다
- Attach ㄹ after the stem ending with vowel.
- Attach 을 after stem ending with consonant.
조용하다 - 조용할 셈이다
쓰다 - 쓸 셈이다
먹다 - 먹을 셈이다
가다 - 갈 셈이다
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.