Today we'll be looking at the usage of "A/V/N -ㄴ/은/는 대신(에)" Korean grammar point with some examples.
It is used to indicate that the following content is different from or opposite to the previous content. It is equivalent to saying instead of doing/having done something, in place/lieu of doing/having done something in English.
Noun + 대신(에)
1. Use a fork instead of chopsticks.
젓가락 대신에 포크를 사용하다.
2. I will go in his place. (Instead of him)
그 대신 제가 가겠습니다.
3. Give me tea instead.
대신 홍차를 주세요.
4. I'll give you this book in return.
대신 너에게 이 책을 줄게
Note that the ~에 is optional and usually omitted and that in the recompense meaning the verb can appear with no change in the overall meaning of the pattern.
The basic conjugation rule is :
Adjective + -ㄴ/은 대신에
- If the stem ends with a consonant add ~은 대신에
- If the stem ends with a vowel add ~ㄴ 대신에
Verb + -는 대신에
- Add ~는 대신에 after the stem irrespective of whether it ends with a consonant or vowel.
Let's look at some examples below:
1. Rest instead of playing.
노는 대신 쉬다.
2. Read instead of write.
쓰는 대신 읽다.
3. You're mean instead of pretty.
예쁜 대신 못되다.
4. Yoo-min is fat instead of tall.
유민이는 키가 큰 대신 뚱뚱하다.
5. Minjun is good at singing but can't dance.
민준이는 노래를 잘 하는 대신 춤은 못 춘다.
6. If you study here, you can sleep well instead of being quiet.
여기서 공부를 하면 조용한 대신 잠이 잘 온다.
7. My mom is good at cooking but not good at cleaning.
엄마는 요리를 잘 하는 대신 청소를 잘 못한다.
8. Instead of going to the office I worked at home.
회사에 출근 안 하는 대신 집에서 일을 했습니다.
9. Please say hello to him instead of me.
저 대신 선생님이 그 분에게 안부를 전해 주십시오.
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.