Learning grammar is one of the most difficult things for Korean language learners. On this blog we will try to help you learn Korean grammar in the quickest and easiest way possible. This blog will be helpful for those who are studying Korean language and want to improve their grammar skills.
Today we’ll see how to form sentences with grammar pattern “ Verb + (으)면 “ with some example sentences.
Verb (으)면 has the meaning of once, if, when etc. in English and has to be used with verb like for example :
- When spring comes – 봄 오면~
- If it rains – 비 오면~
- Once I learn how to speak Korean – 한국어 말할수있면~
The rule to conjugate :
In case of verbs like 먹다, 가다 etc.
Remove 다 from the main verb and add (으)면 in the end of the verb stem.
1) If the verb stem after removing 다 from the main verb, ends with a consonant then 으면 has to added after the verb stem.
Eg : 먹다 – To eat
먹으면 – If I eat
2) If the verb stem after removing 다 from the main verb, ends with a vowel the 면 has to be added after the verb stem.
Eg: 가다 – To go
가면 – If I go
3) If the verb stem after removing 다 from the main verb, ends with ㄹ like in 열다 then simply 면 has to be added.
Eg: 열다 – To open
열면 – When it opens
Let’s see some examples :
1 ) 들어가면 안 된다.
He must not go in.
2 ) 점심 먹고 살짝 낮잠 자면 괜찮으려나?
Would it be okay to take a nap after lunch?
3 ) 그 문을 열면 더 작은 방으로 통한다.
The door opens into a smaller room.
4 ) 그녀의 음악을 들으면 난 항상 잠이 온다.
Her music always sends me to sleep.
5 ) 설탕을 너무 많이 먹으면 이가 썩는다.
Too much sugar will rot your teeth.
6 ) 그 애는 웃으면 예쁜 보조개가 생긴다.
She has lovely dimples when she smiles.
7 ) 책을 읽으면 항상 잠이 와.
Reading a book always puts me to sleep.
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.