Today we'll be looking at the usage of "V~(으)려던 참이다" with some example sentences.
It is used when a person has considered doing an action, but another action happens which overlaps with the original planned action.
It can be understood as “was about to” , “on the verge of" or "intending to.”
It might take some time to understand the usage completely but after a few usages you'll be able to figure it out.
Let's try to understand the usage with the following examples :
- 사려던 참이다
- 열려던 참이다
- 잠을 자려던 참이다
- 나가려던 참이다
- 전화하려던 참이다
Now let's look at the conjugation rule :
- When the verb stem ends with a consonant, add 으려던 참이다 after removing 다 from the root verb.
1) I was just about to eat.
막 밥을 먹으려던 참이었다.
2) I was just about to have lunch, care to join me?
막 점심을 먹으려던 참인데 같이 갈래요?
- When the verb stem ends with a vowel, add 려던 참이다 after removing 다 from the root verb.
1) We were about to go home anyway.
막 집에 가려던 참이었어요.
2) I am on my way to New York shortly.
난 짧게나마 뉴욕에 가려던 참이었다.
3) I was just about to leave.
막 나가려던 참이었다
4) We were about to call the police.
우리는 경찰에 전화하려던 참이었다.
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.