Today we'll be looking at the usage of "N (으)로" Korean grammar point with some examples.
This grammar pattern can be used to express the direction. For example 부산으로, 서울으로 etc. Or it can also be used to express the method, tool or means to do something.
Conjugation rule :
- Add 로 to nouns ending with a vowel or ㄹ.
- Add (으)로 to nouns ending with a consonant.
Lets look at the usage of N (으)로 with the example sentences :
(A) This grammar pattern is used as a post-positional particle that indicates the direction of a movement.
It can be used as towards, to, forward etc depicting motion or indicating the route of movement.
For example :
1) On the way to work.
일터로 가는 길에
2) Go to the seaside.
3) He came up to me.
그는 내게로 다가왔다
4) They were making a move in the direction of the living room.
그들은 거실로 방향을 옮겼다
5) We went to Jeju Island for our honeymoon.
우리는 신혼여행을 제주도로 갔다 왔다.
6) The teacher took the textbook and went into the classroom.
선생님은 교과서를 챙겨 교실로 들어갔다.
7) In the event of a fire, escape through the emergency exit
화재가 났을 때는 비상구로 탈출하십시오
8) Seung-gyu decided to study abroad in Japan.
승규는 일본으로 유학을 가기로 했다.
9) We left for Busan to catch a boat.
우리는 배를 타기 위해 부산으로 출발했다.
10) I ran home at the news that the letter I had been waiting for had arrived.
기다리던 편지가 도착했다는 소식에 나는 집으로 달려갔다.
11) Jisoo peeped into the room through a crack in the door.
지수는 문틈 사이로 방안을 엿보았다.
12) The thief seems to have snuck in through the back door and stolen something.
도둑은 뒷문으로 몰래 들어와서 물건을 훔쳐 간 것 같다.
(B) This grammar pattern can be used as a post-positional particle that indicates a tool or means of doing something.
It can be equivalent to saying by, by means of,with etc.
1) Write in ink.
2) Cut with a knife.
3) Make things by hand.
4) Write with a pencil.
5) The piano was lifted by means of a crane.
그 피아노는 크레인으로 들려졌다
6) The child cut paper out of scissors to make flowers and trees.
아이는 가위로 종이를 오려 꽃과 나무를 만들었다.
7) Jisoo walked barefoot on the soft sandy beach.
지수는 부드러운 모래사장을 맨발로 걸었다.
8) Jisoo ate ice cream with a spoon.
지수는 아이스크림을 숟가락으로 떠먹었다.
9) I wiped the water off my hands with a handkerchief.
나는 손에 묻은 물기를 손수건으로 닦았다.
10) I try to think positively about everything.
나는 모든 일을 긍정적으로 생각하려고 노력한다.
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.