Learning grammar is one of the most difficult things for Korean language learners. On this blog we will try to help you learn Korean grammar in the quickest and easiest way possible. This blog will be helpful for those who are studying Korean language and want to improve their grammar skills.
Today we’ll see how to form sentences with Korean grammar pattern " (으)ㄴ/는/인 데다가 "with some example sentences.
(으)ㄴ/는/인 데다가 is used for adding more information about the subject, which is equivalent to " and, as well as, moreover or furthermore " in English.
- ~는 데다가 is used with the verbs in present tense.
- ~(으)ㄴ 데다가 is used with verbs in the past tense.
- ~(으)ㄴ 데다가 Is used with adjectives.
- ~인 데다가 Is used with nouns.
Also check these useful Korean vocabulary resources:
Rule to conjugate :
In case 1 : Verbs in present tense.
After removing 다 from the root verb add ~는 데다가 after the verb stem, irrespective of whether it ends with a consonant or vowels.
Eg : 먹는 데다가
In case 2 : Verbs in the past tense.
After removing 다 from the root verb add ~(으)ㄴ 데다가 after the verb stem.
- Add ~ㄴ 데다가 after the verb stem ending with vowel.
- Add ~은 데다가 after the verb stem ending with consonant.
Eg : 간 데다가
In case 3 : With adjectives.
After removing 다 from the root word, add ~(으)ㄴ 데다가 after the word stem.
- Add ~ㄴ 데다가 after the word stem ending with vowel.
- Add ~은 데다가 after the word stem ending with consonant.
Eg : 큰 데다가
In case 4 : With nouns
Simply add ~인 데다가 after the nouns irrespective of whether the noun ends with a consonant or vowel.
Eg : 학생인 데다가
Keeping in mind the above rule. Let's see some examples to understand it properly.
1) 나는 친구들이 있는 데다가 그들은 부자다.
I have friends, moreover they are rich.
2) 영화 보는거 멈춘 데다가 엄마를 도우러 갔다.
He stopped watching movies and went to help his mother.
3) 그는 학자로서의 자질이 있는 데다가 스포츠맨이기도 하다.
He has qualities as a scholar moreover he's a sportsman.
4) 그 선배는 예쁜 데다가 운동을 오래 해서 몸매도 정말 늘씬하다니까.
That senior is pretty, moreover he's been working out for a long time, so his body is really slim.
5) 그녀는 가정주부인 데다가 집에서 사업을 하고 있습니다.
She is a housewife and runs her own business from home.
6) 그 이야기는 사실이 않은 데다가 그것은 단지 선전일 뿐이다.
The story is not true and it is just propaganda.
7) 나는 아무런 전화도 받지 못한 데다가 그녀는 나에게 아무 말도 하지 않았다.
I didn't get any calls and she didn't say anything to me.
8) 이름을 쓰는 데다가 주소와 전화번호도 마찬가지입니다.
Write your name as well as your address and phone number.
9) 원피스가 예뻐은 데다가 비싸요
The dress is pretty. Moreover, it's expensive.
10) 오늘은 날씨도 이상한 데다가 비도 와서 제시간에 못 왔어요.
The weather is strange today. Moreover, it rained so I couldn't make it on time.
11) 어디 보자. 한자인 데다가 너무 오래되어서 알아볼 수가 없네.
Let's see. It's in Chinese furthermore it's so old I can't recognize it.
In the above examples you can clearly see the usage with the Adjectives, nouns and verbs
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.