Today we'll be looking at the usage of "도" Korean grammar point with some examples.
This grammar particle can be used in various ways. The equivalent meaning could be " As well as, both... and, too, also, not...either, neither...nor, even, yet, still " etc. in English.
For example :
Were you there also?
너도 거기 있었니?
I want to go skiing, too.
나도 스키 타러 가고 싶다
Let's look at some example sentences following each grammar particle :
1) I don't know her either.
나도 그녀를 모릅니다
2) I haven't been to Australia, either.
나도 호주에 간 적이 없다
3) If you don't go, I won't either.
당신이 가지 않는다면 나도 가지 않겠다
4) Because my parents don't have good eyesight, I don't either.
부모님이 시력이 나쁘셔서 나도 시력이 안 좋다
5) I have neither energy nor appetite now.
지금은 기력도 없고 식욕도 없다
Neither ~nor ~
1) It isn't sour, but it isn't sweet either.
이것은 시지도 달지도 않다
2) Neither she nor I am satisfied with the test result.
그녀도 나도 시험 결과에 만족하지 못한다
3) Mother neither ate nor slept.
어머니는 식사도 못 하시고 잠도 못 주무셨다
Not only ~ but also, as well as
1) She can read not only English but also Japanese.
그녀는 영어뿐 아니라 일본어도 읽을 수 있다
Even, yet, still
1) Even a child can answer it.
그것은 어린아이도 대답할 수 있다
2) No matter how poor, you should never steal from others.
아무리 돈이 없어도 남의 물건을 훔쳐서는 안 된다.
Some more example sentences :
1) He understands both French and English.
그는 영어도 알고 불어도 안다
2) I can speak neither French nor English.
나는 불어도 영어도 못한다
3) He speaks French, and writes it as well.
그는 불어를 말할 수도 있고 쓸 줄도 안다
4) He gave me clothes as well as money.
그는 돈도 주고 옷도 주더라
5) Were you there also?
자네도 거기에 있었나?
6) If you will not go, I will not go, either.
당신이 안 가겠다면 나도 안 가겠다
7) Are you hungry? So am I.
배고프지? 나도 그렇단다
8) He knows me, too.
그도 나를 알고 있다
With the examples mentioned above you must have understood the meaning and usage of 도. You'll get the hang of it quickly once you'll come across many examples and instances.
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.