Today we'll be looking at the usage of "N/A/V-아/어도" Korean grammar pattern with some example sentences.
This grammar pattern is equivalent to saying 'But', 'yet', 'However', 'Though', 'Even if', 'No matter (something)' in English. It expresses that the situation in the second clause occurs regardless of the supposition in the 1st clause. For example, '바빠도 아침을 꼭 먹어요' meaning 'Even if I'm busy, i always have a breakfast'. By adding- 아/어도 to the stem of a word at the end of one clause, the second clause is expected to occur regardless of what happens in the first clause.
Conjugation rule :
Remove 다 from the base form of the verb and stem of the adjective and then add 아도/어도/해도.
Verb/Adjective stems ending with the vowel 오 or 아 are followed by -아도.
Verb/Adjective stems ending with other vowels are followed by -어도.
Verb/Adjective stems ending with 하 are followed by -해도.
For Noun add (이)라도/라도
Add (이)라도 to Nouns ending with consonants.
Add 라도 to Nouns ending with vowel.
Lets see some example sentences :
1. 밥이 있어도 저는 안 먹을 거에요.
Even though there is food / rice, I will not eat.
2. 냄새는 이상해도 맛있어요.
Even though the smell is weird, it's tasty.
3. 그 제품을 반값으로 줘도 저는 안 살거예요.
Regardless of if you give me that product at half price, I am not going to buy it.
4. 요즘에 바빠도 운동은하고 있어요.
Even though I'm busy these days, I'm still doing some exercise.
5. 모두 호수에서 수영해도 저는 안 들어가요.
Regardless of if everyone goes swimming in the lake, I am not going in.
6. 택시를 타도 시간이 오래 걸려요.
It takes a long time even if you take a taxi.
7. Jisoo is a pleasant and welcoming friend whenever I meet her.
지수는 언제 만나도 즐겁고 반가운 친구예요.
8. Even if Seunggyu was sick, he never missed school.
승규는 몸이 아파도 학교에 결석하는 일이 없었어요.
9. Sometimes in life, you have to pretend you don't know even if you know.
살면서 때로는 알아도 모르는 척해야 할 때가 있어요.
10. Minjun doesn't get drunk easily even if he drinks a lot.
민준이는 술을 많이 마셔도 잘 취하지 않아요.
11. A good book always gives a new impression even if you read it several times.
좋은 책은 여러 번 읽어도 항상 새로운 감동을 줘요.
12. Make sure to call me even if it's late when you arrive.
도착하면 늦게라도 꼭 전화해.
13. I'm bored, so let's go watch a movie.
심심한데 우리 영화라도 보러 가자.
14. Even if I can help, I would like to help.
저라도 도움이 된다면 돕고 싶습니다.
15. I'm hungry. Can you buy me ramen on my way here?
배고픈데 오면서 라면이라도 사다 줄래?
16. I want to meet him one more time by chance.
나는 그를 우연이라도 한 번 더 만나 보고 싶어요.
17. Actor Kim wanted to play a role with a large proportion even if it was a villain.
영화배우 김 씨는 악역이라도 비중이 큰 배역을 맡고 싶었어요.