Improve your Korean Writing Skills and Get a High Score in the TOPIK II Writing Section
Join the TOPIK II Writing Masterclass
Only 15 Seats Available!
Enrollments close on: May 30 2021
Is TOPIK Writing Section is your weakest point?
A few years back, we had surveyed 270 people who took the TOPIK test and asked them which part of the test they found the most difficult and challenging. At that time there were 3 levels (beginner, intermediate and advanced) instead of TOPIK I and II and all levels had writing sections.
A huge 70% of them gave one answer - the writing part!
We asked the same question to a group of TOPIK II test takers again a few days back.
And perhaps not surprisingly, the answer from the majority was still the same - Writing section is the most difficult.
Only this time, it was 85% people instead of 70%.
We talked with some test takers at length and reached the following conclusions:
- The score in the writing section decides whether you are a level 3-4 or 5-6.
- The essay writing part (the paragraph writing based on a graph and the long essay) is challenging for almost all TOPIK test takers.
- One of the reasons why writing section is most challenging is this is the only part where you can't really practice by yourself. You don't know if you are writing right or not.
- Most test takers score the lowest in the writing section. Many fail the test just because of a low score in the writing section.
- It’s not only that people who are weak at grammar or vocabulary find the writing section difficult. We found that even learners at an advanced level of Korean find the writing part difficult.
- The problem is not that the test takers don’t know enough grammar and vocabulary to write a good paragraph or essay in Korean. We found that many of the test takers were pretty good at grammar and vocabulary but still they scored very low in the writing part.
- In fact, most of the test takers have a decent amount of vocabulary and grammar knowledge to write a basic essay in Korean. They just don’t know how to frame their sentences and paragraphs and how to connect them in a coherent manner.
Finding the Solution
After talking with many TOPIK aspirants we did some in-depth research on the TOPIK Essay writing part to find a solution and prepare a better study/preparation strategy.
But before talking about that, let me talk briefly about myself. I am Satish, from India, living in Seoul now. I did my Bachelors degree in Korean language and literature and then my Masters in Korean Language Education from Seoul National University. After that I also did my M.Phil. in Korean language education and currently I am working on my PhD dissertation on teaching methodology for Korean listening.
I remember when I took the TOPIK test for the first time (intermediate level at that time) years ago. I faced all the same problems with the writing section that we got to hear from the test take takers in our survey.
Later when I joined Seoul National University for my Masters, I had to write multiple term papers, short and long essays and even a 150 page dissertation in Korean. And I got to realize that you don’t really need to memorize a dictionary and know 1000 grammar patterns to write effectively in Korean.
In fact, it’s all about knowing -
- How to plan your writing (Whether it’s planning a 150 page thesis or a one-page essay in exam hall, the concepts are the same.)
- How to use the vocabulary and grammar you already know efficiently.
- How to frame and connect your sentences to make them look ‘native-like’.
- The technique to present your complex information, thoughts, opinions in a simple manner using a specific set of grammar and vocabulary.
- How to express the same thing in many different ways to avoid your writing looking amateur.
I thought based on my own experience of doing so much Korean writing over the years and also passing TOPIK level 6 multiple times, I can develop something that can help other people get a better score in the writing section without spending months and years to practice and improve their grammar, vocabulary and writing skills.
So I, along with my team started working on it.
We analyzed many writing samples from foreigner learners as well as native Koreans, did research on the TOPIK essay evaluation process and tried to understand what evaluators look for in your Korean essays.
We also worked with some TOPIK aspirants and to try and test different strategies to improve their essay writing and improve their scores.
We found that with just a few simple techniques and a little guidance people can easily improve their Korean writing and ultimately their TOPIK test score.
And it doesn't required months or even weeks of trainings. Even just 2-3 hours of guided training and practice can significantly improve their writing and improve their confidence level and ultimately their score.
Based on our understanding and our own experience we developed preparation strategy and practice plan for TOPIK II writing and that is how we came up with the idea of this TOPIK II Writing Masterclass.
TOPIK II Writing Masterclass
A 4-Day Online Workshop
We know, we can’t improve your grammar and vocabulary skills significantly in a few hours or days. It will take much longer than that.
We also can’t magically change you into an amazing writer in 2-3 hours, if you are not good at writing even in your mother tongue.
These things take a lot of time and practice and that’s not our goal.
We are solely focused on improving your score in the Writing section of TOPIK II.
During this 4-Day (8 Hours) Intensive Training Workshop:
- You will learn how to plan the best study/preparation strategy for the writing section of TOPIK II.
- You will learn how to handle each question of the TOPIK II writing section.
- You will learn how to answer the short and long essay questions effectively using the vocabulary and grammar you already know.
- You will learn must-know words and grammar patterns that will make writing paragraphs and essays in Korean much easier for you and will also fetch you more marks.
- You will learn what to do if you don’t understand some words in the question (in graph writing questions especially). In other words, how to write a decent paragraph or essay even without knowing some words in the question.
- You will learn what exactly the evaluators look for when they are marking your essay and how to make sure that you include the things they want.
- Hands-on training on essay writing, correction and feedback by instructor.
Only 15 Seats Available
This course is suitable for you if -
- If you are planning to take TOPIK II and you find the writing section of the test challenging.
- If you think you are at level 3 or 4 now but want to get level 5 or 6 by improving your score in the writing section of TOPIK II.
- Though, this workshop is exclusively for TOPIK II writing, it will also help anyone who is studying or planning to study in a Korean university and need to write essays and term papers etc. in Korean.
Who is this not suitable for-
- We expect that you already know the basic Korean grammar and vocabulary and are at lower Intermediate level or higher. If you are in doubt whether this workshop will be right for you or not, please contact us before enrolling. You can send a mail to [email protected]
- If you feel you are already at level 5 or 6 and want to get a higher, the workshop might not help you much because the focus of this workshop will be on helping people who are trying to get level 3-4 or are stuck at level 3-4 and are trying to get level 5-6. If you are already at level 5 or , probably you just need to work more on your vocabulary to improve your writing. Again, when in doubt, just reach out to us and we will be happy to help.
Course Requirements, Duration & Timings
Tools Required: Classes will be conducted through Zoom. We recommend that you have a double display system (A laptop with external monitor) but you can also attend the workshop with your phone.
Workshop Duration - 3 Days (June 10, 12, 13)
June 10 (Thursday) - 7-9 PM (Korean Time)
June 12 (Saturday) - 4-6 PM (Korean Time)
June 13 (Sunday) - 4-6 PM (Korean Time)
Maximum Seats - 15 (first come first served basis)
Terms & Conditions:
- There should be a minimum of 8 students to start a batch. Otherwise we would refund the fees.
- We reserve the right to change class timings or cancel classes if required, though in such situation, we will provide supplementary classes or offer refund.
- The information available on this page will be final and and will supersede any information available on any other medium.
ONE-TIME PAYMENT for 3 SeSSIONS (6-Hours)
One sentence summary of what they get
One sentence summary of what they get
Course Features and Benefits
This is the first Korean language course of its kind in India. It's a very innovative program that uses the best language learning and teaching practices.
I will not just give you theories on how to write better teach. I will show you by writing sentences and paragraphs and I will also make you write, correct and give feedback.
Access to Class Recordings and Notes
You will be given all the recordings and notes of all the sessions afterwards, so that you can watch them again if required and practice.
Grammar and Vocabulary Sheets
You will get sheets of must-know vocabulary and grammar connectors and verb endings for effective essay writing.
Community and Support
You will be added to a private class group where you can ask questions, share your writing and help others.
Frequently Asked Questions
The classes will be conducted through video call using Zoom or Google Meet. You will also receive the recording of every class so that you can watch it again if you need to. You will receive complete instructions about how to connect to class beforehand.
The recordings of all the classes will be available, so you can watch them. If you still need help with anything, you can ask the instructor in the study group or during the next class.
These will be interactive sessions with instructor with two-way audio/video. You can ask questions to instructor at any point of time.
LIMITED SEATS AVAILABLE
We believe in quality, not the numbers. That's why we have decided to take only 15 students in a batch. The registrations for will automatically close once the first 15 students are registered.
Secure your seat now!