Today we'll be looking at the usage of "V ~(으)ㄹ 라치면" Korean grammar pattern with some example sentences.
It is a connective ending used when making the preceding statement into the premise of the following statement through a previous experience.
This connective ending attaches exclusively to action verbs, and signifies that whenever one contemplates or supposes undertaking some action, the contents of the following clause occur.
The equivalent meaning in English would be "whenever, when, if, every time"
For example :
- 요즘 바깥 청소를 할라 치면 꼭 비가 오 더라구요. Lately, whenever I get ready to clean up outside, it rains.
- 비가 올라 치면 반드시 검은 구름이 끼어요. Whenever it is about to rain, black clouds form.
Notice the usage of 할라 치면 and 올라 치면 in the above two sentences carrying the meaning of “whenever”.
It is usually used in cases when one contemplates things which one has experienced numerous times before.
Conjugation rule :
- When the verb stem ends with a vowel add ~ㄹ 라치면 after removing 다 from the main verb.
- When the verb stem ends with a consonant add ~을 라치면 after removing 다 from the main verb.
- In case of 하다 verb simply add ~ㄹ 라치면 after removing 다 from the main verb.
Lets see some example sentences :
1. Whenever I go up to Seoul, I stay with my uncle.
나는 서울에 갈라치면 언제나 아저씨 댁에 머문다.
2. He never calls on me without bringing me some toys or other for my child.
그는 우리집에 올라치면 뭔지 아이 선물을 가져다 준다.
3. I always get a call whenever I'm about to start working.
일을 시작할라치면 꼭 전화가 온다.
4. The weather becomes cloudy when the outing is separated.
나들이를 갈라치면 날씨가 흐려진다.
5. Strangely, whenever a large sum of money is collected, it will cost a lot of money.
목돈이 모일라치면 이상하게 큰돈이 들어갈 일이 생긴다.
6. Every time I try to answer the phone, it always cuts off.
전화를 받을라치면 꼭 끊겨 버린다.
7. Every time I wash up, the boiler breaks down.
내가 씻을라치면 보일러가 고장이 난다.
8. Whenever I try to stay home quietly alone, someone comes home every time.
혼자 조용히 집에 있을라치면 매번 누군가가 집에 찾아온다.
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.