"V+는 바람에" is an interesting grammar used to express speaker's unexpected situations. Keeping in mind it is very much different from the grammar "바랍니다" which might seem similar when hearing.
So today we’ll see how to form sentences with Korean grammar pattern "V+는 바람에" with some example sentences and it's usage.
Usage of V+는 바람에 :
This structure is used when you want to express a reason or a clause of something that happened unexpectedly or against your hope.
To express an unexpected/unintended reason that caused first clause to negatively influences the consequence of the second clause.
Conjugation rule :
The conjugation rule is simple. You just need to attach ~는 바람에 directly to the verb stem.
When the verb stem ends in ㄹ, you need to drop the ㄹ and then attach ~는 바람에 to the remaining of the verb stem.
Examples of V+는 바람에:
- 비가 오다 - 비가 오는 바람에
- 넘어지다 - 넘어지는 바람에
- 지나치다 - 지나치는 바람에
- 잠을 들다 - 잠을 드는 바람에
- 고장 나다 - 고장 나는 바람에
Specific usage of V+는 바람에 :
1. The result or consequence in the following clause should be negative.
2. Only verb can be precede ~는 바람에.
3. The second clause must end in the past tense.
Some examples sentences :
1) The flight was canceled due to a typhoon.
태풍이 오는 바람에 비행기가 취소 됐어요.
2) My hands hurt from playing tennis.
테니스 치는 바람에 손이 아팠어요.
3) I woke up late in the morning because I slept late yesterday.
어제 늦게 자는 바람에 아침에 늦게 일어났다.
4) I vomited because I drank too much alcohol.
술을 너무 마시는 바람에 토했어요.
5) I couldn't go to the sea because it was raining.
비가 오는 바람에 바다에 못 갔어요.
6) The game was put off because of the rain.
비가 오는 바람에 경기가 연기되었다.
7) The freezing rain made it difficult to drive.
비가 오는 바람에 운전하는 것이 어렵게 됐어요.
8) My laptop crashed and I lost all the data in the hard drive.
제 노트북이 고장 나는 바람에 하드에 있던 모든 데이터가 날아가 버렸습니다.
9) He took a wrong turn and lost a whole hour.
그는 길을 잘못 드는 바람에 한 시간이나 손해를 봤다
Also check these useful Korean vocabulary resources:
To understand TOPIK Test structure, application process, Levels and Passing scores etc. check these pages:
- TOPIK – The Complete Guide & 2. TOPIK Levels and Passing Marks. You can also Practice Online with TOPIK GUIDE Mock Tests.
If you are going to take the TOPIK Test for the first time, or if you want to give your score a boost so that you can pass a higher level, we would strongly advise you to get the Complete Guide to TOPIK – Self-Study Package. It is a digital study package that has everything you need to get a great score in the TOPIK test – all the past TOPIK papers with answer sheets, grammar and vocabulary study material, video tutorials explaining the test structure, strategies to solve them and much more. You can check out more details about this study package HERE.
Learning Korean can be tricky, especially when the goal of your learning is conversation. If you’ve ever attempted to speak Korean but were unable to, then hopefully you’ll find this post helpful.
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions or suggestions. Comment down below.